Thursday, March 06, 2008

Rubbish banter

An email went around the office a few weeks ago from the group secretary on the subject of rubbish receptacles, in advance of our forthcoming office relocation.

One of the sentences in the email was something like:

“On the West side of the lifts you will see a large wheelie-bin; this is in fact a skip.”

My immediate thought was that it must be either a wheelie-bin or a skip but could not be both! When I walked past it later that morning, I looked at it and concluded that it was a large black wheelie-bin and not – in fact – a skip.

I wondered what the cryptic sentence in the secretary’s email meant, and concluded that her definition of ‘skip’ was by reference to function rather than form (i.e. a skip is a temporary purpose-placed rubbish dumping unit that will be removed once it has served the specific purpose). By contrast, my own definition of skip is the physical one (i.e. large metal open-topped box with the distinctive shape for loading on and off the back of a lorry).

Although I haven’t thought about it in great detail as yet, I cannot really imagine many situations where different people can have such mismatches in their noun definitions – can any other Urban observers enlighten me? Or even come up with other nouns which are principally defined with reference to function?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about 'relationship'? People have vastly different ideas about what that means (not just along the usual M/F lines!).

Nick

Bina Simon said...

Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
skip bin hire rocklea

yahya said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!green waste removal